Skip to main content Skip to site utility navigation Skip to main site navigation Skip to site search Skip to footer

Credit for prior learning

You can apply to earn credit for the learning you bring to NSCC. If you've taken previous courses, been employed, volunteered or undertaken personal study, you can have this learning assessed. If deemed equivalent to the curriculum found in an NSCC course, your existing knowledge may count towards NSCC credit. It's possible to earn up to 75% of your NSCC credential through recognized prior learning (RPL).

There are two ways to have your previous learning recognized:

  • Transfer credit
  • Prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR)

Transfer credits

If you've successfully completed an equivalent course at another post-secondary institution, you can apply for a transfer credit.

When submitting your Transfer Credit Application (Microsoft form), please ensure:

  • The course(s) you're seeking credit for was completed within the last 6 years.
  • You've provided appropriate documentation (i.e., the course outline and your official transcript from the other institution).

There's no cost to apply for transfer credits.


If you believe your prior learning experiences (e.g., on-the-job training, volunteer work, personal study) could grant you credit towards an NSCC course, you can apply for PLAR. To ensure your knowledge is equivalent to what you'd learn in an NSCC course, the PLAR process may involve one, or any combination of, the following assessments:

  • skills demonstrations
  • assignments
  • essays
  • challenge exams
  • oral presentations or interviews

Contact Student Services to review the PLAR process and the PLAR Application Form (Microsoft form). 

Important notes about the RPL process

  • RPL is not available to students who are not admitted into an NSCC program.
  • RPL can't be used to upgrade an NSCC grade or to obtain a pass in a failed NSCC course.
  • RPL can't be used to earn a course grade in an audited course.
  • RPL can't be used in place of a supplemental evaluation.


If you have questions about your prior learning experience and how it may be recognized at NSCC, contact the Student Services team.