Hire a student
All of our programs require a component of work-integrated learning where students can apply their trained skills on the job. Employers like you can benefit greatly from taking on an NSCC student in either a paid or unpaid position. Funding is available for employers who hire students and recent grads.
Benefits of hiring students
- Work-ready students for extra support during busy periods of the year or for special projects.
- Opportunities to evaluate and identify potential future employees as part of your long-term recruitment strategy.
- Fresh perspectives that students bring to your workforce.
- Opportunity to foster the next generation of employees by providing them with valuable career-related work experiences.
- Funding is available.
Hire a student or graduate
Interested in hiring one of our students or graduates? Interested in having one of our students for work experience?
Types of work placements
We offer four broad categories of work experiences that prepare students for their professional or occupational field of study.
- 5 to 8 weeks (paid or unpaid)
- Field experiences provide opportunities for students to apply their knowledge and skills outside of the classroom
- Over 100 programs offer field experiences
- Most programs provide field experiences during the spring, although schedules vary by program
- Duration and term (fall/winter/spring/summer) varies depending on the program
- Professional practice is offered in the majority of our Health programs
- Professional practice is required for a professional license or designation (including clinical placement, practicums, preceptorships, etc.)
- 12 to 16 weeks (paid)
- Over 50 diploma programs offer co-op
- Co-op is mandatory in Culinary Management* and Business - Hospitality
- NSCC follows Co-operative Education and Work Integrated Learning Canada guidelines
- Takes place in the spring term only
Support student learning
If you'd like to support our students with their program in ways other than through our work placements, please consider one of the following:
- Sponsor a student - combine financial support and safe, on-the-job training opportunities for students. Learn about the Sponsor-a-Student initiative.
- Be a mentor - join CareerLink, our mentorship and networking platform.
For information needed to hire one of our students, please view the employer guide (PDF 361KB).
Review our Work Integrated Learning - Insurance Guidelines (PDF 152KB) to learn more about partner/employer coverage requirements.
Tell us your needs and we’ll help you find a student. Email .