Skip to main content Skip to site utility navigation Skip to main site navigation Skip to site search Skip to footer
NSCC's response to COVID-19: view updates

Health and Human Services program requirements

Many Health and Human Services programs have additional requirements, including completion of:

First aid and CPR training

Most programs require students to complete CPR and first aid certification before beginning their program.

  • Cosmetology and Esthetics and Spa Therapies require CPR - A level and emergency first aid
  • Law and Security complete CPR and first aid as part of the required Medical First Responder course
  • All other programs require CPR - C level and standard first aid

Many of our campuses offer certification throughout the year. Please check your local campus for dates. These programs are also offered through Red Cross (1-877-356-3226) and St. John Ambulance (1-800-565-5056).

Documentation indicating that you've completed these requirements will be collected at the beginning of your program.


Most programs require standard (dTap, MMR, Varicella, TB) and Hepatitis B immunizations to complete work placements. These immunizations are for your protection as well as the clients that you'll be serving.

A completed immunization form and Hepatitis B Waiver (PDF 202KB) will be collected at the beginning of your program.

How to get immunized

Immunization vaccines can be accessed through your health care provider.

Please review the Immunization FAQ for more details.

Criminal record and vulnerable sector checks

A current, official criminal record check and vulnerable sector check, and in some programs, a child abuse registry search, are required to complete work placements for all programs except Cosmetology and Esthetics and Spa Therapies.

A conviction or finding on any of these checks may impact your ability to obtain a work placement or work in your field of study.

Students are responsible for obtaining these records and having them available to be reviewed by the placement partner prior to the start of the placement. The placement partner will determine the student’s eligibility for the placement. 

How to complete a check

Your local RCMP detachment or police department can perform these checks. Please bring a piece of government issued photo ID with you. Check should be completed no earlier than one month prior to the start of your program, as it needs to be current at the time of review.

If you have a positive record

Individuals with a positive criminal record are encouraged to apply for a record suspension (formerly known as a pardon) through the Parole Board of Canada.

Some professions require licensing to practise; examples include, but are not limited to, Practical Nursing, Pharmacy and MLT. A positive record may impact your ability to write the required exam and receive licensing. Individuals with a criminal conviction should contact the appropriate licensing body to verify the requirements for a criminal record check prior to beginning their program at NSCC.

Child abuse registry search

A child abuse registry check is required for work placements where students interact directly with children. These programs include, but may not be limited to, Behavioural Interventions, Child and Youth Care, Early Childhood Education, Recreation for Health Communities and Therapeutic Recreation.

How to complete a search

  • Download and complete the Nova Scotia Community Services Request for Search Form A (PDF 164KB).
  • Print and mail the form to:
    Child Abuse Register
    Department of Community Services
    P.O. Box 696
    Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2T7
  • Be sure to include a copy of identification (driver's License or government photo ID)
  • You'll receive a letter from Department of Community Services that you can share with your placement organizations.
Back to top