Mental Wellness Strategy
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or mental health distress, consider the supports below, available to you 24/7:
- 911 if you are physically at risk
- Provincial Mental Health Crisis Line at 1-888-429-8167 (toll-free)
We are committed to fostering an environment that supports mental wellness. Our Mental Wellness Strategy – launched in 2018 – outlines how we go about this work.
- View our condensed Mental Wellness Strategy (PDF 213KB)
- View our full Mental Wellness Strategy (PDF 33KB)
To foster an NSCC culture that prioritizes the mental wellness of students and employees, allowing us all to learn, grow, contribute and thrive.
- Creating environmental conditions for the flourishing of all students and employees that is grounded in values of social equity and sustainability
- Providing proactive supports integrated with development and capacity building
- Providing targeted programs for employees and students who would benefit from assistance
- Providing specialized services for those experiencing mental health issues
Our priority areas
We approach each day with openness and acceptance.
We will nurture the best of what we do now and embrace the opportunity to adopt new thing and best practices to help us do even more.
We are stronger together and we connect with one another and to supports in our community.
Our strategy in action
Since launching our strategy, we’ve taken action to put it into practice, including:
- Creation of a Mental Wellness Steering Committee with employee and student representation
- Providing training and resources to help faculty recognize and support our students’ mental health
- Increased and regular communication of available mental wellness supports through Connect (our College intranet), email and social media
- Hosting an annual Wellness Week
- Providing increased resources like health and wellbeing webinars and workshops, self-directed Brightspace courses and CampusWell interactive online magazine for students
- Hiring the College’s first Manager, Employee Health and Wellbeing
Mental wellness resources
- Mental wellness supports and resources for students (intranet login required)
- Mental wellness supports and resources for employees (intranet login required)