NSCC-Mi'kmaq Joint Committees
NSCC and the Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaw Chiefs are committed to a partnership that leverages our respective strengths, while centring first-voice experience and expertise. Together, we’ve established the Joint Steering Committee (JSC). It provides strategic guidance to the Joint Working Committee (JWC), in its efforts to advance collaborative and systemic improvements to Mi’kmaw student experience and success.
The JSC and JWC were created to strengthen the relationship between NSCC and the Mi’kmaq community, to help respond to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action, and to highlight our collective commitment to systemic and transformational change.
The JSC and JWC align with the vision, mission, values and strategic priorities of NSCC, as well as the goal of creating an equitable educational experience for Mi'kmaq students.
The committees work to:
- Increase Mi’kmaq student enrolment and retention
- Improve Mi’kmaq student supports and academic success
- Support the development of NSCC programming designated for Mi’kmaq students, as well as those offered in Mi'kmaq communities, including the Wagmatcook Learning Centre
- Develop partnerships with organizations across the province that can help enhance opportunities for Mi’kmaq students and graduates
- Co-chaired by the Mi'kmaq Kina'matnewey Education Chair Chief and NSCC president
- Membership includes the Mi’kmaq Chiefs from mainland Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, co-chairs of the JWC, and others as deemed necessary
- JWC co-chairs are appointed by JSC co-chairs
- Membership to the JWC, from both the Mi’kmaq and NSCC communities, is recommended by the JWC co-chairs and approved by the co-chairs of the JSC
- Mi'kmaq membership includes representatives from:
- Mi'kmaq Kina'matnewey (co-chair)
- Mi'kmaq Economic Benefits Office
- Mi'kmaq Employment and Training Secretariat
- Native Friendship Centre
- Native Council of Nova Scotia
- Native Women's Association of Nova Scotia
- Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq Education
- NSCC membership includes:
- Vice-president, Academic (co-chair)
- Senior advisor, Mi’kmaw and Indigenous Initiatives
- Executive director, Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion
- Dean representative
- Principal representative
- Associate vice-president, Student Affairs
- Director, Student Services or Manager, Student Advising
- Student Services advisor and Indigenous supports representative
If you have questions about NSCC’s Joint Steering Committee and/or Joint Working Committee, contact , Senior Advisor, Mi’kmaw and Indigenous Initiatives.