Skip to main content Skip to site utility navigation Skip to main site navigation Skip to site search Skip to footer

Immunization FAQ

Some of our programs require that you receive some immunizations; check out our FAQs to find out more.
Why do I need the immunizations?

After consultation with our industry partners and a review of the recommendations in the Canadian Immunization Guide, 7th Edition (Updates 2020-August), we've set standard immunization requirements. These immunizations are for your protection as well as the clients you'll be serving.

Failure to obtain the required immunizations and to submit the immunization form by the scheduled date will impact your ability to find a work placement. Inability to obtain a work placement will impact your ability to complete program requirements and proceed through to graduation.

My doctor is gone or my records are lost or I do not have a record of my immunizations, what do I do?

If your immunization status is unknown, you can have blood work done to confirm immunity for MMR, Hepatitis B and Varicella (chicken pox). If blood work confirms immunity, this can be noted on the NSCC immunization form, and no further immunization is required. You may also contact the Department of Health and Wellness to find out if they have a record of your immunization.

If you've relocated and are in need of a new doctor, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia may offer some assistance.

Which immunizations do I need as part of my admission application?

You do not require any immunizations as part of your admission application.

Programs within the School of Health and Human Services require standard immunizations (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella and varicella) as a clinical/work placement requirement.

View the required immunizations and timelines for completion.

How do I get started with obtaining the required immunizations?

Please note: some immunizations may require a delay in receiving others, for example, after receiving an MMR booster, one must wait four weeks before having a TB test completed. The following important information refers to the order and sequence of immunizations. In order to complete NSCC immunization requirements in a timely manner, please adhere to the requirements below.

Tuberculin skin testing (TST) is a two-step process that requires 4 visits to the health care provider. Tuberculin skin testing should be done first before any other immunizations are given.

Step 1 (TST): This consists of one dose of TST, which is administered by the health care provider and then read 48 hours later by the health care provider. Each of these steps requires a visit to the health care provider.

Step 2: (TST): After the first injection, the second dose should be administered 1 week later. This second dose is read 48 hours after administration. As with the first, this step requires two visits to the health care provider.

Other Immunizations

After completion of the Tuberculin test, you can proceed immediately to the other required immunizations and receive them at the same time.

Other immunizations include:

  • dTap (Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis). Booster dose is required every 10 years.
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) *
  • Varicella (chicken pox)*

NOTE: Immunizations noted with a * are live vaccines. If you receive an immunization with a live vaccine, you must wait 30 days before administering TB testing. This may significantly impact the requirement to complete immunizations by a required deadline. Within the NSCC requirements, there are 2 live vaccines that can impact this: Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR vaccine) and Varicella vaccine.

These live vaccines can be administered together at the same time. If they are not administered at the same time, they must be administered no sooner than 30 days apart.

Should I just get the Hepatitis B shot or TWINRIX?

The vaccine requirement is for Hepatitis B. Twinrix includes both Hepatitis A & B vaccines. Please note that Hepatitis A is not required for your placement and the NSCC Student Health and Dental Benefit plan will not cover the Twinrix vaccine. If you wish, you may receive the Twinrix vaccine instead of the Hepatitis B vaccine; however, a blood test to show proof of immunity is still required.