Become a military-connected learner
Are you connected to the Canadian Armed Forces and looking to expand your skills and knowledge or considering what’s next? We can help you take the next step.
We understand the complexities of training for and transitioning into a new career and offer a wide range of credentials and supports to ensure you graduate ready for civilian employment. Our credentials and student supports extend to your immediate family, too.
Military-connected learners include:
- Currently Serving, Regular Force
- Currently Serving, Reserve Component
- Civil Servants with the Department of National Defence
- Immediate Family of Canadian Armed Forces members or Veterans
- Foreign Military Veterans
Credit for prior learning
The skills and knowledge you’ve gained through military service may be recognized as a source of prior learning. This means you could receive credit towards NSCC courses. Learn more about prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR) and how to apply.
- Choose from over 140 career-oriented programs, including specialized, one-of-a-kind programs you won’t find anywhere else.
- Some programs offer part-time or blended options (a combination of online and in-person learning).
- Many of our programs count towards a university degree, which means you can gain an NSCC credential and then attend university without starting from scratch.
- You’ll find programming in 17 communities and online through our eCampus.
- Programs are mostly 1-to-2 years long, so you’re able to enter the workforce sooner.
Flexibility and support
- We understand military service can be unpredictable. We work with you to find solutions to support your learning should unexpected call-outs, training exercises or deployments arise.
- You learn in a supportive, welcoming environment and have a dedicated student advisor who can help you navigate College as a military-connected individual.
- We’re known for our supportive learning environment.
- Learn from faculty who bring strong industry connections and years of experience to the classroom – some of whom are military-connected, just like you.
- Most programs include hands-on learning and work experience to prepare you for the workforce.
Health and wellbeing
- You have access to a range of wellness services to support you, including free personal and career counselling and virtual healthcare service.
- We offer full-time students a health and dental plan, which includes extended health and dental benefits for a 12-month period.
- We cultivate an environment that positively contributes to student wellbeing. Explore our Mental Wellness Strategy.
Awards, scholarships and bursaries
- We offer more than $3 million in awards, scholarships and bursaries each year.
- Current students and confirmed applicants can complete a general application through the student awards portal and self-identify as a military-connected learner to be matched with eligible awards.
- Prospective students can also apply for a select number of awards.
Helmets to Hardhats
We work closely with Helmets to Hardhats (H2H), a national, non-profit organization that helps military-connected individuals find a second career and receive the best industry wages, benefits and pension plans in the unionized construction industry. Complete a construction-related program with NSCC and register with H2H for individualized construction sector referrals.
We can help your organization with training, applied research and student engagement. Learn more about our industry supports and contact us.
If you’re military connected and want to learn more about our programs and supports, fill out the form below and an NSCC representative will contact you.
Required fields are marked with a red symbol (*)