The Women Unlimited program is a unique offering designed to assist diverse women explore a range of trades and technology careers in which they are typically underrepresented. This free program is intended to serve as a bridge to other post-secondary programs – upon completion, you’re:
In Women Unlimited you:
- Explore a range of trades and technology programs to discover what interests you and prepare for meaningful employment.
- Get introduced to and use basic tools and equipment.
- Participate in site visits to local employers to see how different operations work and what the working conditions are like.
- Hear from guest speakers including alumni, employers, union representatives, apprenticeship training consultants and women working in trades and technology.
- Explore opportunities and challenges diverse women face, the importance of diversity in training programs and workplaces, and strategies to support your success.
- Attend sessions to help build your self-esteem, goal setting, time management, restorative communications and problem solving.
- Work on your presentation skills and improve your health and wellness.
- Build a range of job search strategies and learn from the experiences of other diverse women through Women Unlimited alumni mentoring.
- Learn about the labour market and how to plan your career path in trades and technology.
If you’re a referring agency and would like to refer an applicant to Women Unlimited, complete and submit the Women Unlimited Referral Form (PDF 215KB).
Explore a day in the life of a student.
Follow along with Ellen, a participant in Women Unlimited, as she explores career options in the heavy trucking industry. Read Ellen's #DayInTheLife blog post
- Get support and mentorship as you transition to and navigate through employment. Supports address a range of challenges that women face such as childcare, transportation, purchasing tools and books, accessing tutoring and driver training.
- You learn from instructors with industry experience who are available for support and guidance.
- You gain practical, hands-on experience to help you decide which training to pursue next.
- This program places a high importance on providing you with skills and knowledge to work safely in industry. To prepare for employment, you participate in safety awareness courses.
- Math is an essential skill for trades and technology programs. This program includes a non-threatening math refresher program where you can face and overcome any math fears before College entry and improve your communication and computer skills.
Courses may include
These are some of the courses offered in this program. It is not a complete list and courses are subject to change in advance of the academic year.
Recognizing prior learning / transfer credits
If you have previous learning (course, employment, etc...) that's relevant to your program, you may be able to apply to earn credit. Not all programs are eligible. Learn about our recognizing prior learning (RPL) process.
WULT 1005 - Orientation to Women Unlimited
This course will introduce you to Women Unlimited and provide an overview of how this program works and what will be covered over the next 14 weeks. We will provide information about NSCC and our College environment and available supports for your learning journey.
WULT 1010 - Exploring Trades and Technology Careers I
This course will provide you with the ability to make an informed decision, through classroom experiences, shop visits, industry exposure, personal and workplace skill development, as to your potential and suitability for a career in today’s modern world of trades and technology. This course will build your research, practical thinking skills, and knowledge base to allow you to make more informed career, education, and life choices. You will have the opportunity to expand on your understanding of yourself, your interests and values, and integrate these new ideas within your personal journey.
WULT 1015 - Women’s Equity and Personal Development
This course will assist you in developing the skills and knowledge you’ll need to enter workforces where women are traditionally under-represented. Using an equity lens, we will discuss challenges and barriers through an equity lens, examine physical requirements of various careers, and expand your personal growth and development.
WULT 1020 - Math for Trades and Technology Careers
This course helps you improve the math skills needed for college programs and employment. You will practice solving mathematical problems appropriate to your planned program of study, with a focus on math for trades and technology careers.
WULT 1025 - Communication Skills for Trades and Technology Careers
This course provides you with an overview of the communication skills required by college programs, business and industry, including reading comprehension and development. You will learn to apply these communication skills to be successful in your future studies and/or selected workplace setting. The course also encourages exploration of job search techniques, and is designed to assist you in the development of the skills and confidence required to create and deliver presentations. You will learn to research, access and source information regarding various training and employment options, create resumes and cover letters, and participate in mock interviews. Through a series of classroom lectures, workshops and seminars, you will gain better insight into today’s changing and challenging labour market.
WULT 1030 - Skills Lab
This course provides you with the opportunity to apply and reinforce skills though both independent and group activities, by meeting with mentors and industry professionals, and by practicing skills and outcomes.
WULT 2010 - Exploring Trades and Technology Careers II
This course, a continuation of Exploring Trades and Technology Careers I, will help you make an informed decision, through classroom experiences, shop visits, industry exposure, personal and workplace skill development, as to your potential and suitability for a career in today’s modern world of trades and technology. This course will continue to build your research, practical thinking skills, and knowledge base to allow you to make more informed career, education, and life choices. You will have the opportunity to expand on your understanding of yourself, your interests and values, and integrate these new ideas within your personal journey.