Confidentiality of Student Information Policy
|Ref. No.||Executive sponsor||Policy steward||Approval authority||First approved||Last reviewed||Effective date||Next review|
|75.11||Vice President, Academic||College Registrar||Executive Council||Nov. 22, 2016||Jan. 1, 2017||2018|
- This policy has been reformatted to comply with the 2016 NSCC Standard Policy Template. The policy statements contained in Sections 2 and 3 of this document have not been amended from the earlier version contained in Chapter 11 of the NSCC Policy Manual last revised in June 2015.
- This policy applies to all Student Information, which refers to any recorded information relating to any person who has ever applied or registered as a student of the Nova Scotia Community College, including but not limited to information about that person as a prospect, an applicant, a student, a graduate, or an alumnus of the College.
- NSCC is committed to controlling the collection, use, and disclosure of the personal information provided by its applicants and students. Access to student information is governed by the rules and regulations contained in this policy and by both the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Further, NSCC is also committed to the principle of informed consent and supports the individual right to know what is on file.
- Limits on the Release of Student Records
A student’s record and the information contained therein is treated as personal and private.
Transcripts, or other information about a student, will only be released:
- Directly to the student.
- With the written authorization of the student.
- In response to a court order or other legal requirement.
- Limits on the Release of Contact Information
It is the College’s policy that mailing lists and other contact information such as postal addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses are neither shared with nor sold to commercial or other outside interests. As noted above, such information may, however, from time to time be used internally to support our operational requirements, our commitment to lifelong learning, the College’s Alumni activities, and the NSCC Foundation.
- Information Accessible within the College
Within the College, information such as student name, program and period of registration is shared with the elected Student Association Council in order to facilitate that organization in its democratic function.
- Use of Information for Statistical Analysis/Reporting
The Student Information collected by NSCC is also used for statistical analysis and reporting and for general research by the NSCC with the aim to better understand and serve our learners.
The following conditions apply:
- Any student information released to a government department or agency shall be used only for the intended purposes.
- No student data is released to the public or included in a public document if that data can lead to identification of an individual person.
- Use of Information for Research
From time to time, the College, or a third party contractor (working within our confidentiality guidelines) conducting research on behalf of the College, will conduct focus groups, telephone or postal surveys to determine effectiveness of our programs and services, including graduate employment rates and satisfaction. Participation in such activities is always voluntary, and participants will always be asked for their consent.
- Information Accessible to the Public
Such information as a student’s or applicant’s name, period of registration, and/or credentials attempted or earned will not be made available to the public without the prior written consent of the student or applicant.
Written consent will normally be collected using NSCC’s Consent to Release of Information form, available from any Student Services, Academic Chair or Faculty member.