Library Equipment Loan Program 2023-2024
The Library Equipment Loan Program starts circulating equipment September 5, 2023.
Who can borrow library equipment?
- Full-time or part-time NSCC students enrolled in core, credit programs as well as some customized learning programs.
- Students must be within Nova Scotia.
- Students in continuing education courses are not eligible for laptop loans.
What kind of equipment can students borrow?
- Assistive technology (AT) equipment for students who require an accommodation.
How does a student borrow library laptops or other equipment?
You can request to be added to your Campus' waitlist after August 10, 2023 via this online form. Campus Library staff will notify you when equipment is available for pickup. Due to limited numbers of laptops and other equipment, we cannot guarantee that all students on the waitlist will receive the requested equipment. You need a current student ID to borrow equipment.
Can NSCC students borrow laptops before or after their program ends?
You must be enrolled in a program and engaged in meeting the requirements of your Learning Program in order to borrow equipment.
How long does equipment get signed out for?Most equipment is signed out for 1 academic term only or the end date of a program/course, whatever is shortest. Shorter loan periods may be applied to some equipment.
How do you know when equipment is overdue?
- Log into your NSCC library account to see what you have checked out and when items are due.
- You receive automated reminder notices before the due date. These notices are sent to your NSCC email account.
What happens if equipment is overdue?
- You receive a due date reminder notice 4 days before the due date, an overdue notice 1 day after the due date, as well as a replacement charge notice 5 days after the due date (item is declared lost).
- Notices are sent to your NSCC email account. You are responsible for returning library equipment on or before the due date regardless of whether you have received notices.
- The campus Business Office applies a replacement charge to your College account and the equipment is remotely disabled once the equipment is declared lost. This would restrict you from being able to enrol in courses or access grades and transcripts.
- Students are suspended from borrowing any equipment from the Library Equipment Loan Program for one academic term or until the end of their program/course.
Important: If you have withdrawn from the College or paused your learning, any borrowed equipment must be returned immediately to NSCC Libraries. You risk incurring further sanctions as outlined in College policies. Contact your Campus Library to arrange a drop-off time.
Can you renew equipment?
- You can renew equipment one term at a time. Please respond promptly to any messages you receive regarding equipment you have borrowed.
Spring Term renewal is granted to students who:
- Are in a program which runs to the end of May or
- Still have requirements to meet for the current term of their program.
You are responsible for covering the costs for equipment repairs (i.e. parts, labour, shipping). However, each situation is assessed individually. Please contact your Campus Library for more information.
Lost or Stolen Equipment
You are responsible for covering the cost of any lost or stolen equipment and accessories. The following may result in an administrative fee charged to your Library account :
- Removal of equipment tags, barcodes or other equipment labelling.
- Unreturned/lost accessories (power cables/cords, protective bags/sleeves).
Please contact your Campus Library for more information.
Equipment replacement costs (2023-24 prices)
- High performance laptop $2250
- Standard Laptop $1700
- C-pen $315
- Rocket book $40
- LiveScribe (SMART) pen $205
- Noise cancelling headphones $47
- Campus-based equipment - Campus determines replacement cost
Apprenticeship Nova Scotia Students
Apprentices cannot borrow library equipment from NSCC Libraries. If you don’t have the technology required to take courses remotely, contact Employment Nova Scotia (ENS) to apply for technology support or contact ENS at their toll-free number: 1-877-223-0888.
For more information about the NSCC Library Equipment Loan Program, contact your Campus Library.