Peer Assisted Learning Support (PALS) Team
Reporting to the Manager, Libraries and Learning Commons and under the day to day functional direction of the Learning Commons Coordinator, you will support NSCC in the development and delivery of peer to peer group study sessions, subject specific tutoring, workshops or webinars, and other peer-based learning supports with the aim of enhancing academic success and overall college preparedness.
The Peer Assisted Learning Supports team will generally support peer-based learning activities, which can include:
- delivery and support of group study and test preparation sessions
- facilitation of drop-in subject matter review sessions
- subject-specific, small group or one-on-one tutoring
- assisting Student Affairs in the organization and delivery of webinars on time management, study skills, test preparation, etc.
- Writing centre
- Supports to English as an Additional Language (EAL) learners
- participation in other learning activities as assigned.
- Conduct small group, drop in and one-on-one tutoring sessions with students in identified academic area(s).
- Assist students in developing and strengthening effective study skills, time management and learning strategies.
- Facilitate test and exam study drop-ins sessions as needed.
- Participate in scheduled PALS training in learning strategies, presentation and public speaking, and working one-on-one with students.
- Promote available NSCC academic and learning resources and support students in their usage.
- Make referrals to appropriate Student Affairs team members or resources as appropriate.
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary Learning Program at NSCC, either full or part-time.
- Positive, enthusiastic, team player.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience using computer applications such as Microsoft Office 365 (especially Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams), video conferencing, instant messaging and enterprise level information systems.
- Academic proficiency in one or more of the following subject areas: math, chemistry, physics, Communications, accounting (in particular SAGE 50), Office 365 software, Brightspace, computer programming and/or coding. Other subject areas will also be considered.
- Experience or an interest in learning and tutoring. This might be demonstrated by working with students in tutoring or any other related leadership roles.
- Good judgment, including analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Initiative, and ability to work with limited supervision.
- Flexibility in performance of duties and ability to adjust schedule with limited notice.
- Demonstrated professionalism, diplomacy and confidentiality.
Hours of Work
2-10 hours per week, depending on demand. You must be available to participate in online and self-directed training sessions, as well as work evenings and weekends.
Conditions of Employment
This position is required to work remotely, on campus, or a combination of both.
Personal computer with Internet access; audio/microphone capability is required.
How to Apply
Applications for NSCC Peer Assisted Learning Program 2021-22. Resume and cover letter is required when applying online. We will confirm your application by email, indicating that we have received it. If you’re invited to an interview, an NSCC representative will email you. All interviews are online and applicants will need access to the Internet, a computer and audio/microphone capabilities.
Deadline for Applications
We are now recruiting for September, 2021.