Skip to main content Skip to site utility navigation Skip to main site navigation Skip to site search Skip to footer

Study & Co-Op Work Permits

Before starting your NSCC program, you must apply for two permits: a study permit and a co-op work permit. You can’t complete your NSCC program without a co-op work permit. You should apply for the co-op work permit at the same time you apply for your study permit.

Study permit

If you plan to study in Canada for more than six months, or your program is more than six months long, you need a study permit. You must apply for it before arriving in Canada. For details, view Initial Study Permit (PDF 376KB).

To prove on your study permit application that you can support yourself financially while studying in Canada, view Demonstrating Financial Support in Your Application (PDF 158KB).

To study in Canada for less than 6 months, you must apply to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for a visitor visa or electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Please check the CIC website to see what is required to enter Canada from your home country:

Writing a study plan

Study plans are not always requested but it is a good idea to include key information in a letter of intent that will accompany your study permit application. In partnership with Dalhousie University and Mount Saint Vincent University, NSCC has created Guidance for Study Plans and Letters of Intent to support you.

Changing your designated learning institution (DLI)

If you’ve studied at another learning institution in Canada, you should change your designated learning institution (DLI) with IRCC. For instructions on how to do this, view Update your DLI when you change schools (PDF 308KB).

If you have a co-op work permit from your previous DLI, you must apply for a new one after you transfer to NSCC. Your co-op work permit must indicate your current DLI as Employer. As soon as you update your DLI, you should obtain a letter of enrolment from Student Services and submit an online application for a new co-op work permit.

Study permit refused

If your study permit is refused, please contact us to discuss your admission status. To help you understand the reasons for the refusal and how to prepare a new application, view Study Permit Refusals (PDF 208KB).

Study permit renewal

If your study permit will expire before you’re due to complete your studies, you can apply to extend your study permit from within Canada. View Renew Your Study Permit (PDF 325KB).

Switching from visitor visa to study permit

If you’re an exchange student or visitor currently studying in Canada with a visitor visa, you can only apply for a study permit from within the country only if you fall into one of these categories:

  • you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parent has a valid study or work permit
  • you’re a minor child in secondary school
  • you’re an exchange student or visiting student
  • you completed a short-term course or study program required to be accepted at a DLI

View Apply for Initial Study Permit from Inside Canada (PDF 344KB).

Co-op work permit

All international students require a co-op work permit; you can’t complete your NSCC program without one. You should apply for the co-op work permit at the same time you apply for your study permit.

  • If you’re enrolled in a health-related program or Early Childhood Education, view Co-op Work Permit – Requirement for Medical Exam (PDF 282KB).
  • When you receive your co-op work permit, upload a copy of it using the iCent app. It will be sent directly to our Work Integrated Learning team, which ensures all students have their co-op work permits before work placements begin.
  • If your employer is asking questions about the co-op work permit, forward the Co-op Work Permit – For Employers (PDF 495KB) guide to them.
  • If you are in Canada and are only applying for your co-op work permit, view Co-op Work Permit (PDF 495KB).

Custodial Services

NSCC does not provide custodial services to students under the age of majority in the province of Nova Scotia, which is 19. 

Canada Homestay Network (CHN) provides an option for domestic and international students who are looking to live with local, participating families in the Halifax and Dartmouth areas.