Skip to main content Skip to site utility navigation Skip to main site navigation Skip to site search Skip to footer

Travel documentation

As you prepare to transit to Canada, ensure you review the required travel documentation.

Electronic travel authorizations and temporary resident visas are automatically issued with your study permit.

Electronic travel authorization and temporary resident visa

An electronic travel authorization (eTA) is a Canadian entry requirement for citizens from countries (except the United States) that do not need a visa to enter the country. The eTA is electronically linked to your passport and valid for five years – or until your passport expires.

A temporary resident visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office. It’s placed in your passport to show that you’ve met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student or a worker).

To enter Canada, most people need either an eTA or a visa, not both (some travellers may only need a valid passport). To find out if you need an eTA or a TRV, consult the Government of Canada.

For instructions on how to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization, please use our guide: Initial Visitor Visa Guide.

For instructions on renewing your Temporary Resident Visa, please see our guide: Renew TRV Guide.