Skip to main content Skip to site utility navigation Skip to main site navigation Skip to site search Skip to footer

Health and dental coverage

While at NSCC, international students are automatically enrolled in two insurance benefit plans:

  • Emergency health insurance (EHI) – EHI covers emergency medical treatments, including unexpected hospitalization.
  • Health and dental – This covers preventative health and dental benefits, such as prescription and vision coverage, immunizations and dental treatments.

Your NSCC plans cover you for 12 months, beginning September 1 (if your academic program starts in the fall term) or January 1 (if your program starts in the winter term).

If you arrive in Canada before your NSCC insurance coverage begins, you must purchase private insurance. This private insurance needs to cover you until your NSCC plans start. You may purchase this private coverage through the same insurance company that provides NSCC’s EHI plan. To do so, contact our Student Benefits Plan office at least two weeks before your arrival in Canada.

Learn more about your health and dental benefits

Nova Scotia Medical Services Insurance

Nova Scotia Medical Services Insurance (MSI) is the provincial plan of insured medical services. It is designed to pay for the cost of a wide range of medically necessary physicians' services, as well as certain dental and optometric services for residents of Nova Scotia.

Add dependents to your health and dental plans

If you’re bringing a spouse and/or child to Canada, it’s very important your dependents have some form of emergency health coverage until they, too, qualify for care through the province. Without insurance, medical care in Canada is extremely expensive. Find information on provincial MSI eligibility.

If you want to add your family to your NSCC EHI and health and dental plans, you need to submit the Family Add On formwithin 30 days of starting your program. The cost of the coverage varies, depending on the number of dependents you have.

If your spouse has an open work permit while you study, they can apply for MSI coverage. Your spouse’s coverage will extend to you and your dependent children. For information, view MSI Moving and Travel.

Note: If your academic program starts in the fall term, NSCC plans cover both you and your dependents from September 1. If your program starts in the winter term, coverage starts January 1.

Have questions?

Student Benefits Plan Office
 or 1-866-491-1624