Attending college can have a huge impact on your finances, both now and later. That's why it's important to have a strong sense of your overall financial picture.
Understand the costs
Tuition & fees
Tuition and student fees are mandatory for all students but some program costs are optional. These include things like calculators, USBs or tools which do not need to be purchased if you have them already.
Know your program fees so you understand which are mandatory and which are optional. Include them in your budget so there are no surprises later on.
Booklists for most courses are available in late August.
- For courses delivered in-person: buy books at your campus bookstore.
- For courses delivered online: contact the
- For courses delivered through the online Adult Learning Program: contact your ALP counsellor for more information
Important payment dates
- Programs starting September 2019
- first term payment due: August 2, 2019
- second term payment due: January 10, 2020
- Programs starting January 2020
- first term payment due: November 20, 2019
- Payment for online courses is due on registration
Funding your studies
Paying for your education can take time and discipline. Here are some options to help you finance your studies.
You may be eligible for financial assistance from the federal and provincial governments through the Canada Student Loans and Nova Scotia Student Assistance programs. You can apply to both programs through one application.
Student lines of credit
If you don’t qualify for a government loan, or you need further funding, many banks offer student lines of credit. Check with your bank to explore your options.
Awards, scholarships and bursaries
NSCC offers more than 1,100 scholarships, bursaries and awards. Most awards are based on a range of criteria, including financial need, leadership and volunteer experience. Explore your options
Most programs receive a tax receipt, which you can use to claim on your taxes. Tuition receipts are issued around the end of February each year and are available for eligible students to retrieve by logging in to their online profile.