Training at COGS
The largest geomatics-focused educational institution in Canada, NSCC's Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS), located in Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia, is a world leader in geospatial engineering and technology.
- You learn in an environment dedicated to geomatics training. Because of this specialized focus, COGS has earned an international reputation for offering top-notch education in the fields of surveying, geographic information systems (GIS), land-use planning, remote sensing and mapping.
- An Esri Canada GIS Centre of Excellence, students work with the latest mapping and spatial analytics tools while having opportunities to partner with industry on a variety of projects.
- You use the most up-to-date equipment and software.
- You get various opportunities to learn outside the classroom. You apply your knowledge and grow your skillset through work placements and field experiences.
- You participate in applied geomatics research projects.
- A future on-campus business research centre will serve as a hub for tackling geospatial challenges within the agriculture, energy, health and wellness, and aquaculture sectors.
The COGS Innovation Centre features geographic information system technology, remote sensing and an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV)/drone facility, for data collection, post-processing and analytics.
The Centre enhances traditional student programming through specializing in industry-focused teaching, training and research in advanced mapping, spatial science and information technology.
The tight-knit and picturesque village of Lawrencetown is nestled in the Annapolis Valley, along the banks of Nova Scotia's Annapolis River. It's located halfway between the urban centres of Halifax and Yarmouth, and is 90 kilometres from Kejimkujik National Park. Learn more about Lawrencetown.
Living at COGS combines the convenience of being connected to all campus amenities with suite-style housing, making it the ideal home for both first-year students and those studying in graduate certificate programs. Learn more about our on-campus housing.