Future of Health Summer School - Netherlands
This course is about the worldwide challenges in healthcare in the coming years. The summer school prepares students with the ability to cooperate in international, multidisciplinary teams by working together on projects related to a health problem. Within this integral assignment, students as a group will develop a health solution for a specific Global Health or Healthy Ageing problem. In 2023, it was run as a pilot with partner universities from the Hanze UAS from Canada, the US, Ghana and Finland exclusively.
- Apply knowledge, skills and attitudes from tasks and projects in an international setting;
- Outline the benefits of cross-cultural collaboration for work-related projects and tasks;
- Build evidence of experiences and new learning (both personal and industry related) for portfolio development and the education of others;
- Assess safety and risk pertaining to international travel to make informed decisions about traveling abroad;
- To identify and reflect on the differences and similarities between Canada and the Netherlands
Subject to change
October 2023 - Applications launched
October 30, 2023 - Employee application deadline
January 5, 2024 - Student application deadline
January 26, 2024 - Student selection deadline
February 2024 - Online pre-departure course begins
April 19, 2024 - Pre-departure conference
May 27 - June 14, 2024 - Future of Health program in the Netherlands
June 2024 - Evaluation and debrief
Fall 2024 - Celebration of learning
Employees will provide mentoring and support to the students during the pre-departure phase of the program which will include frequent project meetings, some training modules and other duties required by NSCC International, and will accompany the students during the on-site phase. Employee leads will have the option of being mentored by those who have led similar projects in the past. Employees will be required to submit a report/feedback on the program upon return to Nova Scotia.
- Must be an employee from the School of Health and Human Services with a passion and knowledge of healthy ageing and the future of health in general;
- International experience considered an asset;
- Must have a valid passport or the ability to get one;
- Commitment to applying learning that is gained in future work with NSCC.
Travel advice and advisories
The Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories will help you make informed decisions about safe travel while you are outside of Canada.