Culture, Entrepreneurship, Leadership & Professional Skills Program - St. Kitts & Nevis
The 2024 NSCC Culture, Entrepreneurship, Leadership and Professional Skills Program (CELPS) will provide an opportunity for Black Nova Scotian students from all NSCC programs to travel to St. Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean to participate in a two-week program in May 2024. NSCC is offering this program in partnership with the Clarence Fitzroy Bryant College (CFBC) in St. Kitts (https://cfbc.edu.kn/). The program will consist of a number of interconnected topics aimed at exploring Black cultural identity and heritage as well as to enhance business and professional skills of participants from both countries.
The focus of the program will be:
- Joint research into local cultures of both Nova Scotia and St. Kitts and Nevis from a Black perspective;
- Enhancing entrepreneurial skills by visiting successful businesses in St. Kitts and exploring sustainable self-employment opportunities;
- Strengthening leadership skills through guided roundtable and informal discussions as well as mentorship support by NSCC and CFBC employees;
- Development of professional skills, such as communication, problem-solving, and teamwork while building cultural esteem. Participants will collaborate on the 2024 CELPS with counterparts from the Clarence Fitzroy Bryant College (CFBC).
- Apply knowledge, skills and attitudes from tasks and projects in an international setting;
- Outline the benefits of cross-cultural collaboration for work-related projects and tasks;
- Build evidence of experiences and new learning (both personal and industry related) for portfolio development and the education of others;
- Assess safety and risk pertaining to international travel to make informed decisions about traveling abroad;
- To identify and reflect on the differences and similarities between Canada and St. Kitts and Nevis and the Caribbean in general and to build cultural esteem and pride in being a person of African descent.
Subject to change
October 2023 - Applications launched
October 30, 2023 - Employee application deadline
January 5, 2024 - Student application deadline
January 26, 2024 - Student selection deadline
February 2024 - Online pre-departure course begins
April 19, 2024 - Pre-departure conference
May 2024 - CELPS program in St Kitts & Nevis
July 2024 - Reporting and evaluation
Fall 2024 - Celebration of learning
This is open to all Black Nova Scotian employees at NSCC. Employees will provide mentoring and support to the students during the pre-departure phase of the program which will include frequent project meetings, some training modules and other duties required by NSCC International, and will accompany the students during the on-site phase. Employee leads will have the option of being mentored by those who have led similar projects in the past. Employees will be required to submit a report/feedback on the program upon return to Nova Scotia.
- Must be a Black Nova Scotian employee with a passion for cultural identity, entrepreneurship, leadership and student success;
- International experience considered an asset;
- Must have a valid passport or the ability to get one;
- Commitment to applying learning that is gained in future work with NSCC.
Travel advice and advisories
The Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories will help you make informed decisions about safe travel while you are outside of Canada.