Improving Skills Training for Employment Program – Teacher Training, ISTEP 6
The Improving Skills Training for Employment (ISTEP) Program was funded by the Government of Canada and managed by Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan). The ISTEP Program through its partners in Tanzania (Ministry of Education and Vocational Training, Vocational Education and Training Authority, and National Accreditation Council for Technical Education) and Canada aimed to strengthen the capacity of local institutions to produce a skilled workforce that contributes to economic growth both regionally and nationally. Graduates will be equipped with skills that meet employer needs and contribute to successful local economies.
The ISTEP-06 Institutional Partnership between Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC), BVC and MVTTC was focused on the development of pre-and in-service teacher training modules. For the duration of ISTEP, the Canadian partners developed four modules that act as Post Graduate Certificates in themselves and were embedded within the Post Graduate Diploma program. The development of the new program supported MVTTC’s vision of becoming a Centre of Excellence (COE) for training programs in the area of TVET and CBET teacher training and leadership development.
- Competency-based education teacher training
- Development of curriculum materials and lesson plans for traditional and online delivery of the new program
- Development of training guides applicable to vocational and technical training
- Integration of entrepreneurship and gender related aspects into the curriculum
- Leadership and management capacity building