Business innovation fund for mainland rural Nova Scotia
The Rural Innovation District provides funding to help businesses and community groups develop innovative products and services.
We want to work with you to build an innovation ecosystem that supports the makers, builders and creators of mainland rural Nova Scotia.
The goals of the Rural Innovation District are simple. We want to:
- Increase the number of business start-ups in rural mainland Nova Scotia.
- Increase the number of inventions and inventive ideas through research and development activities for businesses in rural mainland Nova Scotia.
- Increase opportunities for entrepreneurial awareness and skills development for rural mainland Nova Scotians.
Who is eligible
We welcome the following applicants:
- Industry associations with the majority of membership operating in mainland rural Nova Scotia
- Community organizations
- Centres fostering innovation & entrepreneurship
How to apply
Step 1 - Submit your idea
We'll review it and contact you for funding eligibility.
Deadline for current submission review is February 13, 2019.
Step 2 - Apply for funding
If approved, you'll be invited to submit a funding application.
Step 3 - Enter into service agreement
If accepted, we will work with you to create a Service Agreement.
Step 4 - Project progress reports
You'll be required to submit reports demonstrating impact towards meeting Rural Innovation District KPIs.
Submit your idea
Take the first step by completing the Rural Innovation Fund Concept Form.
Funding decision criteria
The committee assesses your submission based on how well your concept demonstrates the following criteria:
- Impact towards meeting Rural Innovation District goals
- Leveraging of additional funding (in-kind and/or cash)
- Impact on Rural Innovation District KPIs
- Adequate distribution of investments across geographic and sectors of economic importance
- Alignment with One Nova Scotia Report (PDF 27.2MB) and Innovation Field Guide part one (PDF 1.48MB) and part two (PDF 1.06MB)
Janet Specht, Project Director
Rural Innovation District, NSCC
The Rural Innovation District is part of a provincial initiative involving NSCC, Dalhousie University, Halifax Partnership, Cape Breton Partnership and Cape Breton University.