Skip to main content Skip to site utility navigation Skip to main site navigation Skip to site search Skip to footer
NSCC's COVID-19 response: view updates

Off-campus Housing

Temporary accommodation

If you haven't secured a place to live before arriving for your NSCC program, we encourage you to budget for, and book, temporary accommodation (for at least a month).

Canada Homestay Network (CHN) provides an option for domestic and international students who are looking to live with local, participating families in the Halifax and Dartmouth areas. Homestay families are carefully screened, and homes are vetted. You can apply directly for homestay through the Canada Homestay Network.

Make sure to keep an eye on quarantine site requirements.

Apartments and rentals

There are several types of furnished and unfurnished apartments; some are in houses and others in high-rise complexes. To see what's available near your campus, or to post a free ad for a roommate or sublet, use Places4Students. Be sure to also check Google and social media for other rental listings.

Rent costs vary across the province and depend on the type and size of accommodation. For more information on housing and the cost of living, view Numbeo or our Cost of Living site.

Rental companies usually require you to submit an application (see what a typical application looks like - PDF 161KB); private property owners might not require one. In general, to apply for housing, you must show that you'll be a good tenant by abiding by the rental agreement, committing to the duration of the lease and paying rent on time. Once you've signed a lease, it's difficult to break the contract. You can be asked to:

  • Give biographical information about yourself and all other occupants of the property.
  • Provide information about where you've lived before and offer references.
  • Provide proof of financial means and undergo a credit check.
  • Provide details of a Canadian bank account (if you're an international student, opening an account should be a priority).
  • Provide a guarantor if you don't have full-time work.
  • Pay a damage deposit (half a month's rent) to secure the apartment. If you've kept the apartment in good condition, you get the damage deposit back when you move out.
  • Provide proof of tenant insurance. Even if you're not required to provide proof, you should have tenant insurance in case of apartment fire or another unforeseen event. Tenant insurance costs between $15 and $30 a month. If you have a car or other insurance coverage, investigate combining your plans to save money.

Housing consultants

Van Sweet Home provides private consultation for international or domestic students who are looking to find a place to live. For a fee, they will seek out accommodations on your behalf and support you in the rental process. Find out more about their pricing and services. Van Sweet Home offers a discount to NSCC students. 

Back to top