NSCC Libraries and COVID-19
Will my Campus Library be open?
As of Wednesday, March 18, 2020, the College is closed to all but employees until further notice. Please see NSCC Libraries' online services and resources listed in Online Library Support below.
How can I contact my Campus Library?
You can contact your Campus Library via email.
I have library books and a library laptop checked out. When will they be due?
All library resources and equipment must be returned upon completion of your program to ensure your graduation package is not delayed and to avoid the cost of replacement charges. Please contact your Campus Library who can provide guidance on how you can safely return them to an NSCC campus.
I have a laptop and still need to use it. Can I keep it until September?
If you continue to require the use of any resources or equipment checked out to you for end of program needs for 2019-20, please contact your Campus Library as soon as possible and they can assess whether to extend the loan.
Will I owe fines?
As NSCC has been closed to all but employees since March, 2020, we will ensure your library account does not incur any fines during this closure period. Also, as of May, 2020, NSCC Libraries no longer charges late fees on most loaned items.
I am a new student coming to NSCC this Fall. Can I check out a Library laptop now?
NSCC Libraries are making changes to their Library Laptop Loan Program for 2020-21 and also need to prepare this equipment for incoming students. For these reasons, we are not loaning equipment until the Fall term. You can check with your Campus Library towards the end of August who will be able to provide more information to you.
How do I use the Library from home?
You can access a wide variety of online library resources from off-campus including streaming videos, journal articles and e-books. When prompted, just enter your student number (w#) and password.
I can't find any resources related to my project. What do I do?
Visit our Subject Guides - collections of recommended books, videos, and websites for each NSCC Learning Program.
We also have Topic Guides covering Streaming Video, Citation Styles, eBooks, Journals and Periodicals, Mobile Apps and more. Select the Guides tab.
If I can't get to a campus, how can I get research help for my paper?
Here are some ways you can get help:
- Live Help - an online chat-based reference service being provided by Novanet libraries.
- Research Assistance - NSCC Libraries provide research assistance to College students, faculty, and staff in a number ways. Visit our Research Help page for more information.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Check out the Library FAQ for answers to commonly asked questions.
- Contact your Campus Library.
- Visit the NSCC Learning Commons - a collection of NSCC resources for supporting learning online.
Here are some resources for specific platforms to help you troubleshoot technical problems.
- Guide to the ProQuest Platform
- ProQuest Support Center - for technical problems
- eBook Central Support
- Gale HELP - located in the footer of each Gale Database
Streaming Video Collections
- Films on Demand - Searching and Browsing Support
- National Film Board of Canada - Help Centre
- Curio.ca - Getting Started Help Page
- LinkedIn Learning Help Basics
Electronic Resources Contact:
Leigh Gagnier, Electronic Services Librarian
Staff and students who have an NSCC email account and access to the web can use the Technology Service Desk for technical support requests.