Why hire a student?
All NSCC programs require a period of experiential learning where students can apply their trained skills on the job. Employers like you can benefit greatly from taking on an NSCC student. The benefits include:
- Work-ready students for extra support during busy periods of the year or for special projects.
- Opportunity to evaluate and identify potential future employees as part of your long-term recruitment strategy.
- The fresh perspective a student brings to your workforce.
- Opportunity to foster the next generation of employees by providing them with valuable career-related work experiences.
Types of work-integrated learning
NSCC has four types of work experience programs: field experience, co-op, internships and service learning.
5 to 8 weeks (paid or unpaid)
- Over 100 programs offer field experiences.
- Understand your responsibility as an employer; review the Field Experience Industry Partner Guide (PDF 766KB).
12 to 16 weeks (paid)
- Over 40 diploma programs offer co-op.
- Co-op is mandatory in Culinary Management* and Business - Hospitality
- Understand your responsibility as an employer; reviewing the Co-Operative Education Employer Guide (PDF 350KB).
- NSCC follows Co-operative Education and Work Integrated Learning Canada guidelines
14 weeks (paid)
- Our International Business and Oceans Technology programs include an internship.
- Understand your responsibility as an employer; review the Internship Employer Guide (PDF 121KB).
- Many programs include a service learning component, where students serve with a local organization or partner to address a community need.
- Understand your responsibility as an employer; review the Service Learning Partner Guide (PDF 128KB).
Funding to hire students and graduates
There are a number of funding opportunities available to employers interested in hiring students and graduates.
- Co-op Education Incentive
- Summer Student Skill Incentive (SKILL)
- Canada Summer Jobs
- ECO Canada (co-op funding)
- Student Work Placement Program (SWAPP)
Post an opportunity for a student or graduate
Interested in hiring an NSCC student or graduate? Post a job or co-op opportunity using our Employer Job Posting form
Review our Work Integrated Learning - Insurance Guidelines (PDF 152KB) to learn more about student and partner/employer coverage requirements.
Tell us your needs and we’ll help you find a student. Email