As part of the healthcare team, Medical Laboratory Technologists (MLT) perform laboratory testing and investigations related to the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease in a wide variety of specimens, including blood, body fluids and tissues.
Medical Laboratory Technologists are scientific fact finders who:
- operate a variety of complicated instrumentation
- prepare tissues
- study cells and micro-organisms under the microscope
- analyze the composition of body fluids and secretions
In addition to their technical skills, Medical Laboratory Technologists require the ability to:
- work both alone and as part of a team.
- manage time wisely and communicate clearly
- Exercise close attention to detail