The internet of things (IoT) is the network of devices that connect, interact and exchange data. Phones, wearable technologies, home security systems, vehicles and a growing number of other products can be monitored and controlled through the internet. Embedded systems programming is what enables this device-to-device communication to happen.
With more and more smart technologies hitting the market every day, the area of IT embedded systems programming is exploding.
Across all sectors, there's increasing demand for a labour force that has the skills to create, program and maintain IoT devices, systems and solutions. Jobs are available in a variety of industries, including information technology, health care, utilities, transportation and retail.
In this program, you learn to:
- integrate a variety of technologies, such as programming languages/platforms, cloud services, operating systems and IoT protocols
- install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair embedded and IoT devices
- select and integrate appropriate sensors and devices for gathering, processing and transferring real-time data
- securely transfer data in a networked environment using appropriate communication standards and protocols
- develop applications for existing IoT devices using industry-standard languages and development environments
- design interconnected embedded solutions that seamlessly integrate diverse, remote and distributed technologies
- Field experience (work placement) is a mandatory credit course completed at the end of your program. It provides you with the opportunity to apply your knowledge and skills outside of the classroom.
- Opportunities are typically unpaid and last approximately 5 weeks.
- Transportation, accommodations and other costs related to work placements are your responsibility.
- For more information visit Work Experience Opportunities
- The program was designed in response to industry input.
- You'll engage with industry contacts through a variety of project-based activities and work-integrated learning opportunities.
- You'll have the opportunity to develop programming skills along with a solid foundation in electronics.
- You'll complete a Capstone Project, which will help instill an innovative and entrepreneurial component to your learning.
- Professional practices and skills are incorporated into all projects and activities.
- The program is aligned with the current suite of IT Diploma programs at NSCC, including IT Data Analytics and Cyber Security.
- This program will interest those who are comfortable with logical processes, and who are interested in developing programming skills and competencies in physical computing.
- The program has been designed to appeal to graduates of IT diploma or degree programs, as well as those in industry requiring upgrading in the field.
Tuition is valid for the 2020-21 academic year. Program costs and fees (textbooks, supplies, etc.) are additional.
Tuition, fees and program costs
In addition to annual tuition, there are program costs (books, tools, etc.) and student fees for college services, health and dental plans, your student association and parking.
View detailed program fees page(s). Please note that tuition values on these pages are for 2019/20 and are meant for planning purposes only. They don't represent final amounts owing.