Disability Supports and Services professionals will prepare learners to apply a social, community –based model, emphasizing community inclusion for persons with diverse abilities. This program provides an opportunity to gain the skills necessary to support individuals in maximizing their strengths and removing barriers to full inclusion.
In this field, you are part of a multi-disciplinary team helping to support individuals to live full and rich lives and promote their full citizenship.
You will learn:
- How to apply a social, community-based model, in addressing personal, environmental and social barriers to full citizenship and inclusion.
- Knowledge of various disabilities and specific strategies for supporting them.
- The philosophy and skills you need to empower your clients to live as independently as they can.
- An understanding of your professional, legal and ethical responsibilities as a support worker in this field.
- The skills necessary to support individuals in maximizing their strengths and removing barriers to full inclusion.
- How to work effectively in teams by increasing self-awareness and practicing effective communication skills.
You graduate with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to work as part of a team to work with people who have disabilities at home, school, work and in the community at all levels of support.