Content Utility Nav Top Nav Site Search


If you're enrolled in a program and would like to explore accessible learning options, you’re asked to tell us about yourself so that we can best meet your learning needs. This information remains confidential.

While we don't require you to disclose the nature of your disability, we do ask for information that describes the functional impacts of your disability in order to help us:

  • assess how your disability impacts your academics
  • guide the development of your individual accommodation plan
  • determine what other supports may be helpful to you
  • check to see if you’re eligible for funding opportunities

If you’re in the process of being assessed, you may be eligible to receive interim accommodations.

Types of documentation

For learning disabilities, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum

We ask for a copy of your most recent psycho-educational, neuropsychological or other assessment. This assessment:

  • must been completed when you were 18 years of age or older, or within the last 5 years
  • should include recommended accommodations and supports

Note: Adaptation information from high school is acceptable; however, additional documentation may be required for services and accommodations that require extra funding (e.g., assistive technology, tutoring services, etc.).

For mental/physical illnesses, physical/sensory disabilities

We ask for a letter or disability verification form that has been completed by a registered health care provider. The document:

  • must include a description of the potential impacts your disability might have within the college setting
  • include a description of the potential impact any medications might have on your ability to function within an academic environment, if applicable
  • should include an outline of recommended accommodations and support

Other forms of supporting documentation can include a hearing or visual impairment report, a Nova Scotia Student Loan Disability Verification Form, other medical assessments and/or a letter from your health care professional outlining functional limitations, barriers and recommendations for accommodations and supports.

If you don’t have documentation, or have more questions about documentation, please contact your Learning Strategist

Finding what you need

To obtain the most recent documentation available, you can contact:
  • Your health care professional (e.g., family doctor, medical specialist, psychiatrist, psychologist, ophthalmologist, audiologist, etc.)
  • The regional centre for education where you last attended school
  • The Disability Services or Accessibility Services office at your former educational institution
  • Your disability service provider, if you’re sponsored through an external funding agency (e.g., Workers' Compensation)

Note: NSCC Accessibility Services reserves the right to determine whether submitted documentation supports the need for reasonable accommodations.