Africentric Learning Matters
In this program, you see yourself represented in the virtual classroom. Your faculty are respected African-Nova Scotian educators who teach you about the achievements and accomplishments of the African Diaspora. By learning about African culture and ethnicity, you develop a sense of belonging and pride with your classmates, your community and the African Diaspora. Together, you support each other in dealing with issues around anti-Black racism and injustice as you pick up the adult high school credits you need.
Core course requirements (7 credits)
- English/Communications: 2 credits
- Math: 2 credits
- Science: 2 credits
- Global Studies: 1 credit
Elective course requirements (6 credits)
Courses could include but are not limited to:
- Digital Technologies
- Strategies for Academic Success (SAS)
- Technical Communications (Tech Comm)
- African Canadian Studies
- Other subjects you want to study
Why apply to ALP-ACTC?
- Courses are offered virtually and include a variety of learning activities in scheduled, real-time online class sessions
- There are no tuition costs for the program
- Two start dates: September 8, January 15
- Free access to many supports and services, such as advising and counselling
- Learn at your own pace (on average, it takes 2 years to complete this program) but you can complete it in a shorter time period if you already have credits from Grade 11 or 12
- Get recognition for courses and/or training you’ve already completed (like apprenticeship training, community college or university courses)
To enter the program, you must:
- Self-identify as Black or from the African Canadian community (of African descent)
- Be at least 19 years old
- Not graduated from high school
- Have an intake interview and placement assessment done by an ALP counsellor
Find out more about admission requirements
Paying for school
Although tuition is free, there are still some costs associated with being a student. Here are a few options that can help you pay for school
Are you on or going on EI?
Learn more and apply
If you’re ready to begin your journey towards better career prospects and higher pay, apply today or contact to find out more.