President's update - September 20, 2021
Sep. 20, 2021 – Don Bureaux
Good morning everyone:
Our work to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and keep our community safe continues to be important, especially as we see cases fluctuate in our region and the corresponding strain that places on the people supporting our health care system. It is essential that everyone continues following standard public health advice: stay home if you are unwell, wash and sanitize your hands frequently, keep your distance and follow masking protocols – even if you are fully vaccinated. With that in mind, I wanted to share some important updates and reminders related to NSCC’s vaccine requirements.
COVID-19 Survey results
Thank you to the 4,909 employees and students who took the time to complete this survey. People from every campus participated. It gives us a snapshot of our current environment and provides important insights leading up to the deadline to provide proof of full vaccination, Tuesday, October 12.
- 85% of survey respondents report that they already have two doses of an approved vaccine.
- 9% of survey respondents indicate that they anticipate having one or two doses of an approved vaccine by October 12.
- 6% of survey respondents indicate that they do not intend to get vaccinated.
- These are very encouraging numbers. I know a number of those already fully vaccinated are keen to learn more about how and when they can provide that proof.
Process for providing proof of vaccination
As shared in previous updates, NSCC requires all employees and students to provide proof of full vaccination by Tuesday, October 12. A team has been working diligently to create a process for people to share that information that respects privacy, builds on existing College systems and processes, and will be easy to use and support.
- Employees will receive an email from Monica Foster, VP College Services later this week. It will direct people to Connect and a link to employee self-service where you’ll find an easy, step-by-step process to follow. Once you’ve submitted your proof of vaccination, it will be verified within five business days. Monica’s email will provide further guidance – please watch for it and act on it as soon as you can to support a smooth roll-out.
- Students will be invited by Campus Principals to submit proof of vaccination beginning the week of Monday, September 27. These invitations will be cascaded out over 5-7 business days. Please watch your email closely during this time frame. Students will also be directed to Connect and a link to self-serve (MyNSCC). Your Principal will include more information on this process when you’re invited to submit.
Please do not send us proof of vaccination status until we request it. Those who do not provide proof of full vaccination by October 12 will be required to follow a testing protocol. We’ll provide more information on our testing protocol next week.
The last possible date to complete an approved vaccine series and be fully vaccinated by October 12, is Tuesday, September 28. Campuses are working directly with Nova Scotia Health to host vaccine clinics for students and employees. You can expect to hear directly from your Campus Principal as details are finalized. If you have questions about vaccine clinics at your campus, please reach out to your Student Services team.
Mask-wearing is required in group settings (e.g., classrooms, meeting rooms and common spaces) at all campuses and sites until at least Tuesday, October 12.
- NSCC’s mask-wearing requirement will remain in place until October 12 even if/when Nova Scotia moves to Phase 5 of the province’s reopening plan.
- Exemptions for mask-wearing are outlined in our updated Masking Procedures (section 4.1).
Thank you everyone for your patience and continued cooperation as we work together to stop the spread of COVID-19 and contribute to our collective well-being.
Last updated on: Sep. 24, 2021 03:41 PM