U-Pass is a transit pass specifically designed for full time NSCC students attending one of our three metro campuses (Akerley, IT and Ivany/Aviation) located in HRM. This program is mandatory for full time students and will be automatically applied to your student account. Students studying full time in a program through online synchronous delivery are not automatically assessed a U-Pass fee, however, are eligible to opt in to the program by the deadline.
How it works
The U-Pass is a sticker applied to your student ID which provides you with unlimited access to Halifax Transit's bus and ferry services. In addition to regular ferry and bus routes, U-Pass holders are also permitted to use many of Halifax Transit's "Park & Ride" lots to park for free, and catch the bus from there. Please note: the Woodside Ferry lot is reserved for regular transit pass customers only and Alderney and Sportsplex locations do have an additional fee for parking.
While the passes are non-transferable (meaning that the pass is yours and yours alone and cannot be loaned, sold or transferred to another person), the U-Pass program represents a significant savings of more than $560 for students for the 9-month period. A typical Halifax Transit bus pass costs upwards of $82.50 per month.
Costs of U-Pass
The cost of the program is $183 for students starting academic programs in the Fall semester and $102 for students starting in the Winter semester. U-Passes become active as of September 1 (or once it is applied to your student ID) and expire on May 31.
Of note: We do not currently offer a summer U-Pass.
|June 1, 2021||Fall U-Pass refund or opt in request submission opens|
|September 1, 2021||Fall U-Pass program commences; sticker active|
|September 21, 2021||Fall term U-Pass refund or opt in request submission deadline|
|January 18, 2022||Winter term U-Pass refund or opt in request submission deadline|
|May 31, 2022||U-Pass program concludes|
If you have any questions about the U-Pass at NSCC, please email
Obtaining your U-Pass sticker
Once you have your student ID card, please visit one of our three metro campus Business Offices to have your U-Pass sticker applied. Stickers will be available for distribution beginning August 23, 2021.
If you have any questions about Halifax Transit routes and bus schedules, please contact Halifax Transit by calling 311 or emailing .
- The U-Pass is non-transferable and non-refundable and may be confiscated for misuse. Unauthorized reproduction of this pass constitutes fraud and persons doing so will be prosecuted.
- The U-Pass is valid for transportation on conventional bus routes and ferries. An additional payment is required for MetroLink and MetroX fares.
- Valid for transportation September 1 thru May 31 (Fall U-Pass) and January 1 thru May 31 (Winter U-Pass)
- Upon boarding the bus, U-Pass holders MUST show their current NSCC ID card with U-Pass sticker.
- If a pass is lost or stolen, please visit your campus Business Office to have a new student ID card and U-Pass reissued.
- Any pass found should be turned over to a bus operator.
- The U-Pass is the property of the city of Halifax. Privileges may be revoked for breach of conditions of use.
Last updated: May 26, 2021