U-Pass Service (Metro Students)
Since September 2010, students at NSCC's three Metro campuses (Akerley, IT and Waterfront/Aviation) have benefited from Halifax Transit's U-Pass (universal bus pass) program. This initiative was initially approved through student referendum in April 2010 and the program was reaffirmed by students again in March 2013.
U-Pass is a special transit pass specifically designed for NSCC students. If you're a full time student, the U-Pass lets you ride Halifax Transit buses, ferries, and Community Transit buses from September to May. The program is convenient, reliable and flexible. You can take the bus or the ferry to commute to school, shop, sight-see, or run errands 7 days a week.
This student bus pass is mandatory for all full time students attending one of our three Metro campuses at a cost of $171 for the academic year and provides students with an unlimited bus and ferry pass for a full 9 month period (September 1 – May 31). In addition to regular ferry and bus routes, U-Pass holders are also permitted to use Halifax Transit's "Park & Ride" lots to park for free, and catch the bus from there. Please note: the Woodside Ferry lot is reserved for regular metropass customers only.
While the passes are non-transferable (meaning that the pass is yours and yours alone and cannot be loaned, sold or transferred to another person), it can be used 24/7 during the school year. The U-Pass program represents a significant savings of more than $470 for students for the 9-month period. A typical Halifax Transit bus pass costs upwards of $70 per month. Your U-Pass cost... only $171 for 9 months!
|September 1, 2016||U-Pass program commences; sticker active|
|September 20, 2016||Fall term U-Pass refund request submission deadline for September start students|
|January 18, 2017||Winter term U-Pass refund request submission deadline for January start students|
|May 31, 2017||U-Pass program concludes|
If you have any questions about the U-Pass at NSCC, please see your campus Business Office or contact us by emailing . Please make sure to include "UPASS" in the email subject line.
If you have any questions about Halifax Transit routes and bus schedules, please contact Halifax Transit by calling 311 or emailing .
- The U-Pass is non-transferable and non-refundable and may be confiscated for misuse. Unauthorized reproduction of this pass constitutes fraud and persons doing so will be prosecuted.
- The U-Pass is valid for transportation on conventional bus routes and ferries. An additional payment is required for MetroLink and MetroX fares.
- Valid for transportation September 1 thru May 31
- Upon boarding the bus, U-Pass holders MUST show their current NSCC ID card with U-Pass sticker.
- If a pass is lost, stolen, or confiscated, please contact the campus Business Office or email . Make sure to include "UPASS" in the email subject line.
- Any pass found should be turned over to a bus operator.
- The U-Pass is the property of the city of Halifax. Privileges may be revoked for breach of conditions of use.
Last updated: May 11, 2015