Utility Nav Top Nav Content Site Search Site Search

U-Pass FAQs

Who is eligible to receive the U-Pass?

All NSCC students registered at one of our Metro campuses (Akerley, IT and Ivany/Aviation) and meeting the following criteria are eligible to receive the U-Pass:

  • Students registered in a program of 20 weeks or longer in duration;
  • Students in our Adult Learning Program registered in 3 or more units of course work;
  • Students taking programs delivered off-site but which are located within the city of Halifax.

Note: Part-time students, students in programs less than 20 weeks in length, and those DCS sponsored students who are in receipt of a Halifax Transit X-Pass, are not assessed a U-Pass fee and are not eligible.

Can I opt-in to the U-Pass program?

Students who are registered full-time but are taking some of their course load online or taking a program through blended delivery will not be automatically charged the U-Pass fee. These students may complete an opt-in form at the Campus Business Office and have the fee added to their student account to receive a U-Pass.

Note: Full time eCampus students living in HRM are also eligible to opt-in to the U-Pass.

How much does the U-Pass cost?

The U-Pass is mandatory and costs $178 per academic year (September to May). Therefore, students starting their program in the fall term will be assessed the $178 fee for the entire academic year. Those students starting their programs in January or later will be assessed a fee of $99 for the winter term.

How do I use my U-Pass?

Your U-Pass is valid for unlimited use; seven days a week, throughout the academic year (ending May 31). You are required to have your NSCC student ID/U-Pass with you whenever you ride on the Halifax Transit system. U-Pass is accepted on all conventional Halifax Transit buses, ferries, and Community Transit buses - except MetroLink and MetroX (an additional fare is required on this special service).

When, where and how do I get my U-Pass?

Once you have paid your fees to the Business Office and obtained your student ID card, you will be eligible to receive a U-Pass sticker. This sticker will be affixed to your student ID card which will serve as your pass to Halifax Transit services. Stickers can be picked up at your campus Business Office.

Note: U-Pass stickers are not valid until September 1 of each year. Stickers will be applied to your student ID beginning two weeks before classes commence.

Who can request a refund?

As this is a mandatory student service, a refund of the U-Pass fee is limited to the following:

  • Students who officially withdraw from NSCC before the advertised deadline for their program (see NSCC's Academic Schedule for dates);
  • Students who change from full-time to part-time status before the official add/ drop date for the term as defined by NSCC (see NSCC's Academic Schedule for dates);
  • Students who hold a valid Access-a-Bus, CNIB, WIH or X-Pass transit pass.

In all cases, refunds must be requested through the Business Office prior to the advertised date (also found on the U-Pass main page).

When are the refund/opt-in application deadlines?

Refund and opt-in deadlines for those students eligible to apply are listed on the main U-Pass page.

Can someone else use my U-Pass?

No. Your U-Pass belongs to you. It cannot be loaned, sold or transferred to another person. Bus drivers will check your NSCC picture ID. If it is not your pass, the driver can take the U-Pass from you. If this happens, contact us at . Make sure to include "UPASS" in the subject line. Please be aware that if U-Pass privileges are misused, the pass can be revoked without a refund.

What are the benefits of the U-Pass?

Although some benefits of your U-Pass are obvious, such as allowing flexible, convenient and affordable travel; students have to make less than four return trips per month to save with the U-Pass (wherever conventional Halifax Transit routes run). But cost savings aren't the only benefits of the program. Here are a couple of additional ways in which the U-Pass can benefit NSCC students, and our community as a whole:

  • Who hasn't heard of global warming? By lowering traffic volumes and air pollution, we can make a contribution to having cleaner air to breathe and a better environment for the future. Check out the Halifax Transit website for more information on the ways in which they are reducing greenhouse gas emissions in and around the city of Halifax.
  • The more we use public transit the better it will get! U-Pass revenues will help Halifax Transit to pay for improved services all over our city.
I have applied for a refund, but my request has not been granted and I don't understand why.

As mentioned before, this is a mandatory plan for full-time students therefore, refunds will not be granted for the following reasons:

  • Distance or location of residence
  • Time or schedule constraints
  • Choosing to drive
  • Minimal usage

For a list of acceptable refund conditions, please read the FAQ above Who can request a refund?.

What if I live a few blocks away from the school or outside the service area for buses?

While some students may see more limited use of the U-Pass because of where they live or how they currently commute to school, all students need to know that the U-Pass isn't limited to commuting back and forth to school. The U-Pass would be usable 24/7 for 9 months, making shopping, errands and entertainment a bus ride away! And if you live outside the service area, you can drive to any free Park & Ride lot, park your car and catch the bus from there. Exceptions include Woodside Ferry Terminal, Alderney Bridge Terminal and Dartmouth Sportsplex where there is an additional fee for parking.

View the list of current Park & Ride locations in Halifax from Halifax Transit and remember, you must be boarding a bus or ferry in order to park in their lots or tickets will be issued.

I am a new full time student beginning in January; will I automatically be included in the U-Pass program?

Yes. As a full-time student you will be assessed the U-Pass fee for the winter term ($99), along with your other fees. As soon as the U-Pass fee has been paid and you have obtained your student ID, you may pick up your pass at the Business Office and begin using it right away.

What should I do if I've lost my U-Pass?

If you have lost your U-Pass there are several steps you may take. Listed below are recommended contacts in sequential order:

  • Halifax Transit's Lost and Found Department by calling 311 as soon as you notice that your pass is missing. If a patron or operator has found your pass on a bus they will turn it in here first.
  • Business Office – found U-Passes will be forwarded here by Halifax Transit on a regular basis.
  • Campus Security – passes found by staff and students in and around the campus building may be turned in to this central location.

If you are still unable to locate your U-Pass, you may obtain a replacement pass at the campus Business Office.