NSCC celebrates a quarter century as Nova Scotia’s community College
October 25, 2021 – Media Release
Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC) has kicked off its 25th anniversary.
It’s been a quarter century since the Nova Scotia Community Colleges Act was proclaimed and NSCC – in its modern form – was created. This pivotal moment in NSCC’s history opened the door to a new path for how we educate and train the future workforce. Today, we begin a months’ long celebration to “Look Back” and “Think Forward” on the tremendous impact NSCC has had on the province and each learner. As we look back, we also honour the many years beyond the past 25 – a history that includes the many vocational institutions that provided the educational foundation from which NSCC was able to grow and thrive.
With the College’s focus on equity and inclusion, it is vital for us to acknowledge that the College has evolved over the years on the unceded traditional territory and ancestral homeland of the Mi’kmaq Nation. The foundation for our collective relationship can be found in the words and intent of the Peace and Friendship treaties that were first signed between the Mi’kmaq Nation and the Crown dating back to 1725. Within these treaties are the rights and responsibilities that form the basis of our Nation-to-Nation relationship. In Nova Scotia, we recognize we are all treaty people.
Our looking back and thinking forward theme is reflective of the African symbol of Sankofa. African Nova Scotian community voices draw upon the wisdom of the past, then carry it into the future (Sankofa), as a way to recognize our strength of support for each other and community. We will continue to enhance the work of our institution as we work to build a more equitable community, firmly looking forward while grounded in the knowledge of our past.
Celebrations will continue over the coming months – provincially and across all campuses. Initiatives include:
- How it started. How it's going. – A fun sharing on social media of an old photo, a recent one and a caption that describes the role NSCC played in getting you from there to here
- 25-Minute Free Learning Series – This will offer a fun way to learn from some of our experts and honour 25 years of teaching and learning
- 25 Years. 25 Words – In months to come you’ll be seeing quotes from some of our grads as wall installations on our campuses at night
- Paint it NSCC Blue – This involves having a little fun with one of our brand colours to help share our celebration with our community internally and externally
- NSCC 25 Anniversary Fund – A call by our NSCC Foundation to support future students
- NSCC Digital Archives – A legacy of our history that we’re unearthing and collecting to be able to share and learn from
NSCC President Don Bureaux says, “It is thanks to all our community members, past and present, for helping shape NSCC into the innovative and welcoming community we are today.”
View the celebration video and learn more about our 25th celebrations.
NSCC is committed to building Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation, transforming Nova Scotia one learner at a time. NSCC offers more than 140 career-oriented programs throughout the province at our 14 campuses, including our online eCampus. Programs are offered through five academic schools – Access, Education and Language; Business and Creative Industries; Health and Human Services, Technology and Environment; Trades and Transportation – and reflect the labour market needs and opportunities in Nova Scotia. NSCC's primary goal: student success. An annual survey of College graduates shows that 82% are employed one year after graduation, most in their field of study, with 94% of those employed living and working in Nova Scotia.
For more information
Niki Toomey, NSCC Communications Advisor
Danielle MacDougall, NSCC Communications Advisor