Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion
Through focused efforts to remove systemic barriers, Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion aims to foster an environment that's welcoming to our students, employees and community partners. The team works to build an equity-minded culture throughout the College by focusing on building awareness, allyship and action.
The department is comprised of the Centre for the Advancement of Educational Equity and Belonging and Human Rights and Equity Services.
What we do
- Promote an environment that's welcoming and inclusive by supporting a respectful community that’s free from sexual violence, racism, discrimination and harassment.
- Encourage open dialogue on complex issues related to race, class, ability, gender, sexual orientation, privilege and other dimensions of equity.
- Create safer spaces that invite participation, encourage the sharing of stories and the voicing of larger societal contexts.
- Lead NSCC’s sexual violence prevention and education efforts and response to incidents of sexual violence.
- Provide guidance on the evaluation of risk, interpretation of policy and conflict competent resolution of concerns.
- Provide a spectrum of interest-based, restorative, culturally responsive conflict resolution options to resolve concerns.
- Focus on making connections, strengthening relationships and repairing harm as a way of building community.
- Provide and co-ordinate American Sign Language interpreting services for NSCC staff, faculty and community.
- Promote activities, events, initiatives and observances related to human rights, equity and inclusion.
- Lead the development of strategic equity plans, such as a College accessibility plan, Indigenous education framework and a racism action plan.
- Help to reduce financial barriers for students by collaborating with NSCC Foundation on initiatives, such as informing ways to embed equity into appeal campaigns and the creation of new student bursaries.
- Engage in equity-related research and innovation projects.
- Provide culturally specific expertise and leadership through employee resource networks, campus-based equity and inclusion committees and student affinity groups (in collaboration with Student Affairs).
- Offer programming, in priority areas, for students from equity-seeking groups.
- Develop and deliver training, webinars and other supports to achieve both employment and educational equity.
How you can help
We’re committed to listening and working towards providing equitable solutions for our students and employees, so all can thrive.
- View our Indigenous student supports
- View our Black and African Canadian student supports
- Learn about our Africentric adult learning option for African Canadians who want to complete their high school diploma
- Learn about our volunteer Black Community Council
- Join Career Link, NSCC's community of volunteers, mentors and employers
- Make a gift to support NSCC students
- , executive director
- , administrative assistant
- , ASL English interpreter
- , manager, respectful community and human rights
- , sexual violence prevention and response lead
- , program manager, Women Unlimited
- , senior advisor, Mi’kmaw and Indigenous initiatives (L’nuey Nikanus)
View our equity and inclusion subject guides.