NSCC and the Applied Geomatics Research Group (AGRG) has extensive research experience in geomatics.
Led by Dr. Tim Webster, AGRG applies advanced mapping techniques to solve problems and support sustainable development in areas related to the coastal zone, aquaculture sites, agriculture and forestry lands. Using lidar and other high-resolution remote sensing and Geographic Information System (GIS) techniques, AGRG is able to map, monitor and model coastal zones, with an emphasis on flood risk and erosion. AGRG also conducts watershed and hydrological studies of in land river systems. Watershed and river hydrology benefit from the high resolution elevation mapping capabilities of AGRG, both on land and below the water. NSCC is the only academic institution with a topo-bathymetric lidar that can acquire elevation and cover type across the land sea boundary.
- Keeping high-tech sector a Valley reality
- FROM THE C-SUITE: Oceans of possibility in researching our seas
- Research may reveal mysteries of Nova Scotia seaweed
- How mapping coastal areas could prepare for an oil spill
Industry and community partners:
- Acadian Seaplants Ltd.
- Ocean Energy Research Association (OERA)
- Town of Bridgewater
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP)
- Leading Edge Geomatics
- Aquadelights Seafood Ltd.
- Stantec Consulting Ltd.