NSCC's Nautical Institute offers a variety of training options for students who want to start or advance their career in the marine sector.
Quick Start Career Training
Get the hands-on training and skills you need to quickly get a career at sea. Our quick start career courses range in length from 15 to 26 weeks. Upon graduation, you'll be ready for an entry-level position in the marine sector with salaries starting from $45,000+.
- Bridge Watch Rating – Begin your career at sea as a deckhand and member of a ship's watch team. Learn how to keep a lookout, steer the vessel, retrieve & launch lifeboats, and much more. Includes 10 weeks of seagoing service.
- Engine Room Rating – In just 28 weeks, you could begin a career aboard the engine room of a seagoing vessel.
Diploma & Advanced Diploma Programs
Our Transport Canada-approved programs combine academic study and sea time internships so that you can acquire the skills and experience you need to start your career at sea. With programs that range in length from 1 to 3 years, our intensive training will prepare you to become a Ship's Officer in the marine industry. Salaries start as high as $70,000.
- Marine Engineering Technology Diploma – Build a broad-based knowledge of the highly complex engineering systems of a modern ship and prepare for a career as a Marine Engineering Officer.
- Marine Navigation Technology Diploma – Study the major principles of marine navigation, seamanship, meteorology, ship construction and stability, and prepare for a career as a ship's Navigation Officer.
- Marine Engineering Technology Advanced Diploma – Advance your knowledge of the highly complex engineering systems of a modern ship and qualify for a career as a Marine Engineering Officer.
- Marine Navigation Technology Advanced Diploma – Advance your knowledge of the major principles of marine navigation, ship construction and stability, ship safety and operations and advance your career as a Marine Navigation Officer.
For individuals who are working in the sector, the Nautical Institute offers courses in Navigation, Engineering and Safety along with training required for certification throughout the year.
Custom Professional Training Services for Industry
The Nautical Institute can train and develop your employees so that they can keep pace with your organization as it evolves. We work with major employers in the industry to deliver training solutions.
Customized training modules can be designed and tailored to meet your organization's training and employee development needs.
For more information or to discuss customized learning solutions, contact Shannon MacDougall at (902) 625-5622 or .
(902) 625-4228 | email@example.com