Mobile Technology Policy
- Technology, such as laptops, digital cameras, smart phones, and projectors, are productive tools in use at the College.
- Since the demands and cost for this technology are increasing, there is a need for management and equity.
- Since there is also a potential personal usage aspect to some technology, it must be controlled to auditing satisfaction.
- The request for mobile technology must have a documented justification. This should be approved by a Dean and I.T Services.
- You cannot approve your own request since that is a conflict of commitment.
- This request must be submitted during the normal budget process for the subsequent year.
Otherwise if this is an unplanned or urgent request, this should be explained in the justification and approved by a senior manager (I.T Services and the Captial Committee).
- Home Usage, by itself, is insufficient criteria since all employees could request this. It would be good if this was possible for all employees, it is not financially sustainable by College.
- Any mobile equipment for general usage such as "loaner" should be managed by the information technology services. Generally, there should be no departmental ownership of technology for general usage or loaning. This will improve the efficient usage, audit ability, and offer equitable service to all staff.
- The deployment of technology is the responsibility of information technology. Therefore, the re-deployment of older technology is managed by Information Technology services. In some cases, technology may be substituted instead where appropriate.
- A laptop must have College standard firewall, security, and anti-virus software. All equipment must be recorded and labeled by Information Technology before distribution.
Some of the following criteria should be included in your written justification for mobile technology.
- Multiple business location responsibilities that require this portability
- Specialized College requirements.
- Description of the usage such as frequency and duration.
- Explanation of personal dedicated usage versus "borrowing equipment" from IT or library.
- Approval by the Dean for academic use or senior manager for other usage.
- Technical specifications must be approved by technical services.