NSCC is committed to safety education. All NSCC students, with the exception of ALP are required to take SAFE 1000 and SAFE 1001. While ALP students are not required to take these safety courses, they certainly have access to do so if they choose.
- Students who start in September 2013 are required to successfully complete these 2 mini courses by September 30, 2013. Students starting program at other times during the year are expected to complete the courses within 4 weeks of starting their program.
- These courses are provided free to all students enrolled in a program, and students can register and take the training as soon as their confirmation fee is paid.
SAFE 1000 and SAFE 1001 provide a basic introduction to Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS). These courses also establish a foundation for more specific safety practices you may learn as part of your program.
There are two ways to access the learning materials and examinations:
- Online - to get started you will need your user id and password which is mailed to you
- In-Person - available in late August and on several Saturdays at some, but not all, of our campuses. Dates will be available later in the summer and will be mailed to each incoming student in the Campus Orientation Package.
Transfer Credit: If you have received OH&S and/or WHMIS certification within the past four years from an accepted trainer, you can request a transfer credit.
To request a transfer credit, complete the Transfer Credit Form, attach a copy of your certification card(s) and mail to the campus you will be attending in September.
- Annapolis Valley Regional School Board
- Automotive Trades Association Atlantic Canada (Dartmouth) - OH&S/WHMIS
- CFK Inc./Minas Basin Pulp and Paper Co. Ltd. - OH&S/WHMIS
- Courtney's First Aid and Safety Training Inc. (Lower Sackville) - OH&S/WHMIS
- Frontline Safety - OH&S/WHMIS
- Highland Resources Career College (Sydney) - OH&S/WHMIS
- IMP Group/Aerospace Division
- Maritime Drilling Schools Ltd - Nova Scotia Campus (Sydney) - OH&S/WHMIS
- Maritime Environmental Training Institute
- Nova Scotia Construction Safety Association - OH&S/WHMIS
- Nova Scotia Safety Council - OH&S/WHMIS
- Occupational Health and Educational Services (2002) - OH&S/WHMIS
- Precision Finished Components/Tesma International (Sydney) - OH&S/WHMIS
- St. John's Ambulance (Branches across Canada follow the same OH&S/WHMIS curriculum)
- The Shaw Company